14 September 2012

just be, for a little while.

I've been very busy, recently.  Most days I wake up around 5:30 or 6:00 am (can you believe it!?) to get ready, eat, and then head to the school to teach.  After school I walk back to my house for a quick snack, maybe change my clothes, and then head off to the university where we take our Fante lessons.  It's about three miles from my house to the place on campus that we meet, so it takes about 40 minutes.  Then we have class, and afterwards we access the internet for a bit.  And then we walk back around 6:00 pm, just as the sun is setting.  Finally, after dinner, I usually go to bed around 9:00.  Since it gets dark so early, I get tired sooner.  Seriously though, prior to Ghana, I can't remember the last time I went to bed before midnight.  But here it comes naturally.

Because of all of that, some days I don't feel like I get to experience much of life outside of school.  The Fante lessons end this week, though, so I will have more time in the days that follow.  I got a taste of that yesterday when we didn't meet for the lesson.  I wasn't sure what to do with myself, to be honest.  So I just sort of wandered around.  I walked down to the beach and sat and read for a bit.  On my way back up, I passed a school that I go by often but instead of students in uniform, I saw a group of young boys playing a game of soccer.  I've been noticing that I really miss soccer.  I played for a large portion of my life and I loved it, so I decided to just watch for a little while.  These boys played like they were in the World Cup, in spite of the pitch of uneven dirt.  And it was cool to see how they refereed themselves so peacefully.  But then I continued on up and in for the night.  The last shot is a look the left, right outside the gate to my compound.



No comments:

Post a Comment